It feels like I have been making this dish all the time. It’s something I can make without even thinking and love it every time. Yes, it’s really the simplest dish you can think of. Just steamed tofu and mushrooms in a donabe steamer, Mushi Nabe. At the same time, this dish really showcases how a simple ingredients can taste so good when cooked in Mushi Nabe and makes me re-appreciate the beauty of minimalism.
Vegan optionThis is a vegan dish.
Servings4 as an appetizer
- 1 piece (14 oz/ 400 g) medium-firm tofu, cut into 4 – 6 pieces
- 5 oz (150 g) king oyster mushrooms or any mushroom of your choice, cut into smaller slices, if necessary
- Black Sesame Sauce
- Get the Mushi Nabe ready.
- Arrange the tofu pieces in the center, then add the mushrooms slices around the tofu.
- Cover with lid, and steam for 4 – 5 minutes, or everything is cooked through over medium-high heat.
- Serve with Black Sesame Sauce or your choice of sauce/ condiment.
Arrange the tofu and mushrooms in Mushi Nabe.
Steam in Mushi Nabe for 4 – 5 minutes. That’s it!
Simple and delicious. Enjoy with the Black Sesame Sauce.