Summer in LA is quite hot, and this super simple watermelon & yuzu beverage is a perfect seasonal drink to make me feel so refreshed. It’s all natural (just watermelon, yuzu juice, and mint), takes no time to prepare, and is always so tasty. When I serve this as an aperitif in the evening, I like to add a splash of shochu (Japan spirit) or some Champagne.
Vegan optionThis is a vegan dish/ drink.
YeildAny amount you like
- Fresh yuzu juice
- Mint leaves
- Your choice of alcohol, such as Japanese shochu, Champagne, or vodka (Optional)
- Blend watermelon (frozen or fresh) in a blender to make juice (or slush).
- Pour the juice into a glass and add a splash of yuzu juice. Add as much or as little as you wish.
- Crush some mint with suribachi and surikogi (Japanese mortar and pestle), and add to the juice.
- The drink is ready. If you would like an alcoholic version, add some shochu or your choice of alcohol to your liking.
Crush some mint for a refreshing touch.
I love how the yuzu juice adds a very aromatic tartness to the dish. Add some ice cubes, if you like.
Here’s a frozen “slush” version. It’s very good, too.