Mochi Mugi is a type of barley and it is considered to be a “super food”, as it contains much higher amount of fiber than brown rice or regular kinds of barley. For me, Mochi Mugi simply tastes so good and I really enjoy its nice bouncy texture. By adding a small amount of Mochi Mugi to your rice, your rice becomes not only more nutritious but it adds another nice dimension in the flavor. For each packet of Mochi Mugi, 1/2 cup (120 ml) water is needed to cook.
Vegan optionThis is a vegan dish.
EquipmentKamado-san (3 rice-cup size)
Servings4 - 5
- 2 rice cups (1 1/2 cup | 360 ml) short grain rice, rinsed
- 2 packets (3.6 oz | 100 g) Mochi Mugi barley
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (400 ml) water plus 1 cup (240 ml) additional water for Mochi Mugi
- In Kamado-san, combine the rice and Mochi Mugi with all the water. Let the mixture soak for 20 minutes.
- Cover Kamado-san with both lids and cook over medium-high heat for 13 – 15 minutes, or until 2 – 3 minutes after the steam starts puffing out of the top lid.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and gently toss the contents with a rice paddle
Mochi Mugi is so good.
Miso-flavored Mochi Mugi rice onigiri (rice balls). Just make rice balls and rub some miso around and enjoy!