This is an easy cold-steep vegan dashi (Japanese stock). All you need to do is just combine the kombu (dry kelp) and dry shiitake mushrooms in a bowl and pour water. After infusing overnight, the rich vegan dashi is ready.
Vegan optionThis is a vegan recipe.
YeildAbout 2 cups (500 ml)
- 1 piece (about 2″ x 2″ or 5 cm x 5 cm), kombu (dry kelp)
- 2 medium dry shiitake mushrooms, quickly rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) water
- Combine the kombu and dry shiitake in a bowl.
- Add the water and leave for overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove the kombu and shiitake. The dashi is ready.
Tips: After the infusion, kombu and shiitake can be kept in the water and heated together for even richer dashi. Shiitake can be sliced (after discarding the stem) and cooked in a soup, etc.
After overnight, the dashi is ready.
Both the shiitake and kombu after infusing are also good to cook with the dashi and taste so good.