Vegan optionThis is a vegan dish
EquipmentMushi Nabe (large) and Multi-purpose Bowl
Servings3 - 4 as an appetizer or a side dish
- 2 cups (500 ml) natural soymilk (make sure it’s cold)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (6.25 ml) regular nigari liquid (or 4 packets for Banrai nigari liquid)*Banrai nigari liquid less concentrated for easier stirring when making smaller amount.
- Your choice of condiments (you can make your own combination), such as thinly-sliced green onion, freshly-ground roasted sesame seeds, ground chili, sea salt, soy sauce, ponzu, katsuobushi (shaved dried bonito), etc.
- Get Mushi Nabe ready according to the basic steaming instructions.
- Set the bowl on the steam grate, and pour the soymilk into the bowl. Add the nigari liquid quickly, and stir a few times.
- Cover with lid, and cook over low heat for 15 – 20 minutes or until the tofu is set. The heat should be just low enough so you see very subtle steam coming out of the lid’s hole.
- Uncover, and serve into individual bowls with your choice of condiments.
Pour the soymilk.
Add the nigari liquid.
Steam over very gentle heat.
Served with ponzu, ground sesame, and green onion.