Among all the egg dishes I love, this is one of the most frequented egg dishes I make home. It’s Dashi-Rich Fluffy Egg with Cheese, made in a cute mini donabe, Petite Donabe. Unlike chawanmushi (steamed egg custard), this dish is direct-heated in a donbe over flame. So, this is similar to Korean gyeran-jjim, which I also love so much. Seasoned and beaten egg is added to boiling dashi all at once, and mixed with cheese. It takes just a few minutes to make this dish and is always so comforting! The fluffy egg and the soothing flavor of dashi make the dish so special. The individual-size donabe can distribute the heat evenly without burning the bottom. I like to stir in some shredded Swiss or gruyere cheese to cook with the egg for the gooey finish, but you can make it without the cheese also.
Vegan optionThis is a vegetarian dish.
Equipment: Petite Donabe or any small-size donabe can work for this dish
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dashi or your choice of stock
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon usukuchi shoyu (light-colored soy sauce)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons shredded Swiss or gruyere cheese
- Dill fond for garnish (optional)
- Heat the dashi in a donabe and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Beat the egg with the mirin and usukuchi shoyu in a small bowl. Add to the dashi and stir gently until the edges starts to cook (30 – 45 seconds).
- Add the cheese and top with the dill. Cover with the lid and turn down the heat to low. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your desired doneness.
- Serve immediately or let it rest for a minute or so, then serve.