Foil-baked seafood is such an easy-prepping and delicious dish. It also requires basically no cleaning of the cooking equipment. I always make it in my tagine-style donabe , Fukkura-san, as not only it distributes the heat perfectly without getting the bottom burned quickly but also it makes a very nice presentation at the table. The dish is flavored simply with sake, butter, and a drizzle of soy sauce and it’s so perfect! When the foil is gently cut open and the dish is revealed, it brings so much excitement, and also the aroma of butter-sake infused ingredients is so irresistible. Smoked soy sauce makes the dish so special but a regular soy sauce can work just fine, too.
Vegetarian optionMake it without seafood (substitute seafood with firm tofu is a good option.
EquipmentFukkura-san (Large size)
- 10 oz (300 g) black cod filet, cut in half
- Sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions, separate the bottom and top and thinly-slice the bottom part
- 6 medium peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1/2 medium carrot, julienned
- 3 – 4 medium brown mushrooms, thinly-sliced
- 4 shishito peppers
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (2 slices) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 – 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- Dill, optional
- Preheat the oven at 460F (230C) degrees. Season the fish lightly with sea salt and let it rest for 20 – 30 minutes. Pat dry.
- On the skillet of Fukkura-san, spread 2 large pieces of foil (the sides can hang over the skillet) in layers. Spread some evoo on the bottom.
- Arrange the green onion (top green part), followed by the fish. Around the fish, arrange the shrimp, carrot, mushrooms and shishito. Sprinkle some black pepper and top the fish filets with the butter.
- Pour in the sake, and cover with two more pieces of foil. Close all the sides tightly and make the wrap fit the skillet completely.
- Bake in the oven (with no lid) for about 20 minutes or until done.
- Cover with the lid and bring to the table (for presentation!). Uncover and gently cut open the foil to reveal the dish.
- Drizzle some soy sauce and garnish with the sliced green onion and dill and enjoy.
Ingredients are ready…just cover with a foil and bake in the oven.