This steamed donabe dish is so tasty and nourishing. The thinly-sliced pork and cabbage always make a great flavor combination. The ingredients are simply steamed in a donabe steamer, Mushi Nabe for 4 – 5 minutes and served with pre-prepared ponzu and garlic miso dipping sauces. Feel free to substitute any ingredients to steam and enjoy!
Vegan optionSubstitute pork with tofu or other vegetables.
(Garlic Miso Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons raw brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dashi
- 3 – 4 medium cabbage leaves, cut in to bite size pieces
- 2 baby bell peppers, thinly-sliced
- 8 oz (240 g) very thinly-sliced pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded ginger
- 5 oz (150 g) shimeji mushrooms
- Ponzu sauce
- Whisk together the ingredients for the garlic sauce in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Boil water in Mushi Nabe.
- Simply pile up cabbage, baby bell peppers, pork slices, shredded ginger, and shimeji mushrooms in a steam grate. Cover with lid and cook for 4 – 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Top with some thinly-slices green onion. Serve with ponzu and garlic miso sauce.