My large donabe steamer, Mushi Nabe, works so hard all year round. Among my favorite preparations with this donabe is a steamed fish dish. This is Steamed Black Cod with Soy-Negi Sauce. I layered black cod with tofu and shiitake mushrooms in a bowl and steamed in the donabe steamer, and poured this aromatic soy & scallion sauce (with a great kick with la-yu oil) over it to enjoy. This dish takes little effort and is really flavorful,and it also keeps your body so warm. Feel free to substitute with different kinds of fish.
Suggested heat resistant bowl for this dish: Common Bowl
Servings2 - 3
- 12 oz (360 g) black cod fillet, cut into 4 – 6 pieces
- Moshio sea salt
- 6 oz (180 g) medium tofu
- 4 medium shiitake mushrooms, bottom end trimmed, and halved
- 1 small knob ginger, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1/2 tsp tobanjan (Chinese hot bean paste)
- 1 tsp raw brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kurozu (Japanese black vinegar) or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon la-yu (hot chili oil)
- Chopped cilantro
- Season the cod lightly with the sea salt. Let rest for 30 min or so in refrigerator. Pat dry. For the tofu, put a weight (about the same weight as the tofu) for 30 min or so and release excess moisture. Drain. Cut into 6 pieces.
- Arrange the cod, tofu, and shiitake in a heat-resistant shallow bowl which can fit in the donabe. Get the Mushi Nabe ready and steam for 5 – 8 min or until everything is cooked through over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Pour some of the sauce over the dish and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve into individual bowls at the table and pour extra sauce, if you like.
Simply piled up ingredients are ready to be steamed in the Mushi Nabe.