I served this dish with donabe-steamed vegetables during a Summer Festival at the shop and it was such a big hit among the guests. You can (literally) just whip it up with all the high quality pantry ingredients to create this creamy, high-protein dip with rich sesame flavors and aromatic kick from the Stone-Ground Sansho Powder. Besides the steamed vegetables, this dip is also great with sandwiches, steaks, or simply with crackers.
Vegan optionThis is a vegan dish
YeildAbout 1 1/2 cup (360 ml)
- 1 can (15 oz/420 g) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons golden sesame paste
- 2 tablespoons liquid shio-koji
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons golden sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons roasted golden sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sansho powder
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the sesame seeds and sansho powder. Mix well.
- Serve with steamed vegetables or crackers
We served hundreds of servings of donabe-steamed vegetables with sansho hummus at the summer festival, and they were so popular!
This hummus can keep in a refrigerator for a few days.