Here’s a simple steam-fry fish and vegetable dish made in Tagine-style Donabe, Fukkura-san. With only minimal seasoning, the dish always comes out so flavorful. Once the sake is infused with vegetables and has fish cooked in it, the flavors become quite complex. This dish is also an homage to Basque regions I visited this summer, so I seasoned the seafood with the herb salt mix I picked up from Ile de Re island in France, and served the dish with homemade creamy garlic sauce. This sauce is also inspired from the trip, and it’s quite addictive. You can use just plain sea salt or your choice of spice/herb salt mix to achieve wonderful flavors, so you don’t need to worry about getting the most specific ingredients. Also instead of the garlic sauce, you can serve with aioli or even ponzu.
Servings3 - 4
(Creamy garlic sauce)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) almond oil or grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 6 – 8 tablespoons labne or Greek yogurt
- 12 oz (360 g) black cod filet (can substitute with your choice of fish such as seabass, halibut, salmon, etc.), cut into 6 – 8 pieces
- 4 oz (120 g) peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 teaspoon or more your choice of herb/ seasoning salt or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons or more extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly-sliced
- 4 medium shiitake mushrooms, thinly-sliced
- 2 baby bell peppers, thinly-sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly-sliced at an angle
- 3 oz (100 g) asparagus (medium thickness), cut into 3 at an angle
- 1/4 C (60 ml) sake
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Some fresh dill
- To make the sauce, combine the garlic, lemon juice and sea salt in a food processor and pulse until the garlic is finely minced. Add the oils and pulse until smooth. Add the labne and pulse until smooth. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Season all over the black cod and shrimp with the seasoned salt and leave for 20 – 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat the evoo in the #donabe over medium-high heat, and add the shallot, shiitake, bell pepper, and carrot, and stir. Cover with the lid and cook for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, stir a couple of times.
- Add the cod, shrimp, and asparagus. Pour the sake and cover again. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
- Season with some black pepper and add the dill.
- Serve into individual bowls and drizzle some evoo. Enjoy with the creamy garlic sauce on the side.
Once the main ingredients are prepared, it’s so quick to cook.